Sunday, March 2, 2008

Cough it up for Destri - and PHLEGM

You might recall a post in this space a short time ago about filmmaker Destri Martino's efforts to raise funds for her film, PHLEGM.

Here's an update from Destri. Now show the lady behind the camera some love - and some greenbacks!

Hello Generous Friends!

I'm just about a month away from shooting my short film PHLEGM and I still have a lot of money to raise. If you've been planning to donate, now is the time. I'm still $10k away from my minimum estimated budget of $15k, so anything you can give will help immensely! (And if you haven't been planning to donate, maybe you could reconsider? ;-)

WHY GIVE WHEN THERE ARE PEOPLE DYING IN AFRICA?

That's a good question! I certainly support your desire to help those in Africa and other areas in need, but if you could help us both out, that'd be really fantastic, too.

As most of you know, it's hard to break into film directing—and even harder for women. Typically only about 3-5% of the top 100 films are directed by women each year. With more balance behind the camera, we hope to see more balanced portrayals of women on the screen (anyone tired of the mother/whore characters, yet?).*

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE AN ART PATRON?

By donating to my short film, you're helping me make a big leap toward establishing a career as a filmmaker. You are being a direct patron of the arts! And you're not only helping me, you're helping the filmmakers of Filmmakers Alliance, my fiscal sponsor, who receive 3.5% of all donations I collect.

Since I plan to use this project as a calling card for my writing and directing ability, it's very important that the production value (i.e., the look of the film) is solid. And, although I will be calling in a few favors, there are some things that just don't come cheap—camera cranes, steadicam and locations, to name a few. These are the things that make a film stand out. Your donations will help me secure these important elements for my film. Don't forget, donations made to the production of PHLEGM are tax-deductible**, thanks to FA.

HOW TO DONATE

There are now easier ways to donate! If you lost your checkbook and/or can't remember the last time you actually used a stamp, you're in luck. You can now make donations via PayPal: Go to your existing account at Paypal.com and choose 'Send Money', enter this email address: destri@alumni.usc.edu and follow the prompts. Please include your address, so I can send you your tax receipt.

If you're a Facebooker, you can also use the PayPal badge on my profile to give. All previously mentioned donation incentives still apply, see
www.destrionline.com/donate for details. If you prefer to send a check, please make it out to FILMMAKERS ALLIANCE and mail to:

Destri Martino
4470 W. Sunset Blvd., # 407
Los Angeles, CA 90027

Thank you for reading, and thank you so much for all your support so far! I look forward to sharing the finished product with you. Hope this finds you well!

Sincerely,

Destri Martino
destrino (at) gmail.com

* If that reason is too simplistic for you, you're welcome to read my dissertation on the subject-- Just wanted to save space here. ;-)

** For those of you paying U.S. taxes at least. Check with your accountant to make sure it will work for your tax situation.